Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Anyone know this knit stitch or a similar pattern?

so i just stumbled across this photo and love this scarf! i want to make it but have no idea how to recreate this stitch. any knitters out there know what stitch this is? or know of a similar pattern with a small wavy stripe? the closest i can think of is a chevron or feather and fan stitch, but that's not quite right. help!

UPDATE: thanks everyone who commented and wrote to me!! i'm pretty sure that the stitch is a knit 1x1 rib alternating color every row (thanks, joosboks!). when i knit it up, i could match this pattern to the one in the picture almost identically...however my yarn/needle combo produced a stretchy rib so the overall effect was different. some other alternatives, which aren't identical, but have a similar look are the baktus scarf and the jagged stripe scarf.


photo via vanessa jackman

7 comments:

Joosboks said...

That is a rib stitch performed with two colours - if you look closely you can see the purl and knit ridges. Just alternate colour every row. :)

JWB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jennifer said...

Well, now I've gone cross-eyed from staring at it so close. I'm stumped too! It makes such a nice design. I hope someone can figure it out!

L said...

I think it might be crocheted, it looks like rows of V-stitches in alternating colors to me.

acommonthread said...

joosboks - really?! it was that simple...haha. a 1x1? my ribbing is always comes out where the knit columns are so prominent...but this looks almost stretched so you can actually see the purl columns...do you think it's some sort of variation? maybe like the farrow rib?

linda p - ahh...mabye so! what kind of crochet stitch do you think?

hibou - i know what you mean! i've been staring at it all day....

jennifer said...

I can almost see how that would be rib, except that you'd be switching yarn between k and p, which seems complicated. Now I feel like trying a swatch to see what it looks like. Hopefully it's just crochet, and super easy crochet at that!
(p.s. That deleted comment was me, not realizing I was logged in under my husband's account. Just in case you were curious.)

fifi said...

it looks like knitting done on a machine to me! but have fun experimenting - i may even glance over my old stitch dictionary later on to see if i can find a good match.